How can you teach sustainability to your kid? By showing it in action. With Sprout plantable pencil complex concepts like ecology, recycling and "green" become a children's game. The eraser in the pencil has been substituted with a water soluble capsule containing OGM-free seeds. Let your child draw for hours and hours; when he can't play anymore the fun is not ended yet. Plant the pencil in a pot, water it and wait until a basil plant will grow. This innovative pencil has a simple but stylish design, it's fun and functional but above all has a minimal impact on the environment. It's made with certified sustainable wood: you're guaranteed for each tree harvested, a new one is planted. And the pencil too will grow in a new plant. Check its progress with your kid to teach him how to respect the environment in a easy, safe and fun way.
Why we like it:
- It's a super original idea!
- This product is made with quality eco-materials: all the wood used is FSC or PEFC certified
- You can re-use this product: from pencil to plant
- Simple and stylish design
- Use it as a stimulating educative toy to teach your kid how to grow a plant
- Perfect as an original, nice and useful gift
- Basil is commonly used in Italian cuisine
- Sprout is a UN Global Compact member: the company is required to make transparent all details of their productive and distributive chain
- Sprout produces in America for the American market and in Europe for the European market in order to reduce CO2 emissions due to goods transport.
- Part of pencils packing is made in Denmark in a workshop for people with special needs
- Pencil composition: PEFc or FSC certified cedar wood, graphite and clay
- OGM free seeds
- Plant: coriander
- Germinates after 10-20 days at 15-25° temperature.
Sprout is the brand of products that grow, literally. Your little baby will become an adult, while Sprout products will become... a plant. They're pencils and greeting cards in wood and recycled materials with seeds inserted: after you finished using them, plant them to grow flowers, herbs, vegetables and fruits. The first plantable pencil in the world was an idea of three students at the Massachussettes Institute of Technology and was first commercialized in 2013. Bloggers, journalists, organizations and consumers immediately recognized the potential of this innovative product. Sprout is now a successful American company with offices in Europe. Four are the main corporate values: sustainability, transparency, originality and semplicity. They aim at selling design goods that are simple and fun to use but with a minimal impact on the environment. Next time you use a pencil don't throw it: grow it (but only if it's a Sprout pencil!)